More on Bluespamming

Bluespamming continues to live on: using Bluetooth to distribute marketing content, but doing it responsibly, makes it ridiculously obtuse for interested users. So what’s a company to do? Ignore best practices and just bluespam, or ping every visible Bluetooth connection within site. Mobile Marketing Magazine says that a company was running a Bluespamming… er, Bluecasting campaign at a London theater, and spun the fact that 703 people out of 9,595 actually accepted the offer of a video download.

In the site’s next post, its editor, David Murphy, points out that really means 93 percent of the people they hit weren’t interested, meaning they more than likely saw it as spam. They’re probably overjoyed with their 7 percent response rate, since that’s pretty good for many old-school forms of marketing. But they need to keep in mind that 7 percent comes at the expense of irritating the other 93 percent. And, as Murphy points out, if 7 percent is as good as Bluespamming can deliver — when it’s supposed to be so well targeted and timely — marketers should probably look elsewhere.

—–>Follow us on Twitter too: @russellbuckley and @caaarlo

Be Sociable, Share!

Switch to our mobile site